Today’s social video feeds are flush with magnificence content material, from skincare product hauls to make-up tutorials promising seductive eyes, full lips, and pores and skin that sings. And magnificence creators are caking on the views! In 2018, greater than four.5M magnificence manufacturers and influencers garnered 53B views throughout platforms.
With a lot content material, how do magnificence manufacturers break via the noise and actually join with their viewers? Social video writer Brave Bison has a battle-tested strategy: forego scripted commercials and accomplice manufacturers with influencers to create genuine content material.
Related Read: These Male Beauty Influencers Are Killing It
Read on for a breakdown of Brave Bison’s high branded magnificence campaigns. The takeaways we share listed below are timeless and could be adopted by manufacturers seeking to revamp their magnificence content material routine.
The Why: Help Beauty Brands Captivate Distracted Consumers
In the previous few years, Brave Bison teamed up with Proctor & Gamble’s skincare model SK-II and Johnson & Johnson’s Clean & Clear to provide candid documentaries starring celeb influencers and the groundbreaking on-line actuality present Beauty Bound Asia.
Initially, these high magnificence manufacturers have been investing in paid, scripted media, however they weren’t successfully partaking their key demographics, in line with Brave Bison.
This foray into unique content material modified all that, ushering in hundreds of thousands of views and natural engagements in high Asian markets.
The How: Brave Bison’s Rocket Fuel? Storytelling with Purpose.
Everyone loves a very good story and Brave Bison, the seventh most-watched media property on the earth, persistently delivers. But at the moment’s viewers need much more.
Audiences are demanding content material that’s “purpose-driven and relatable,” mentioned Brave Bison’s Chief Revenue Officer, Simon George in a current chat with Tubular.
Brave Bison’s high three branded magnificence campaigns heed this name. Most of at the moment’s magnificence content material revolves across the merchandise themselves.
Brave Bison’s movies, nonetheless, pivot away from magnificence merchandise to focus as a substitute on the formidable ladies who use them.
The What: Brave Bison’s Top Three Campaigns for Beauty Brands
SK-II’s Beauty Bound Asia
Overview: Brave Bison helped luxurious skincare model SK-II create Beauty Bound Asia, a web-based actuality sequence to search out Asia’s subsequent high magnificence creator.
Sixty-four contestants, drawn from common on-line magnificence influencers throughout Asia, competed in magnificence boot camps throughout eight nations: Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia.
Finally, eight finalists represented their dwelling nations within the Beauty Bound Asia finals in Japan. The contestants have been examined in a number of magnificence challenges. In one occasion they produced unboxing movies. In one other, they showcased the earlier than and after outcomes of particular SK-II lotion (a pure product plug).
During the sequence, Brave Bison additionally recruited high magnificence influencers worldwide to mentor the ladies as they competed, additional growing attain. Audiences voted reside, and judges, together with world vogue diva Chiara Ferragni and Thai mannequin Cindy Sirnya Bishop, weighed in.
This multi-influencer format ran for two profitable seasons (in 2015 and 2017) with the tagline #changedestiny, geared toward empowering native creators to defy odds and reshape the sweetness sector.
- The marketing campaign raked in 25M views throughout all Beauty Bound movies on YouTube.
- There have been 125.6K engagements throughout all platforms for all Beauty Bound movies.
- The second season, which ran in early 2017, drew 62.1K new subscribers to SK-11’s YouTube channels.
- SK-II created a specialty YouTube account for the present known as Beauty Bound Asia, which has gotten 46.6K views to this point. Greater success was discovered with movies instantly built-in into SK-11’s regional social feeds the place they have been captioned in native languages.
- In 2017, the entire views on SK-II YouTube channels grew by greater than 250% from the yr prior from 112M views in 2016 to 289M views in 2017.
Takeaway: Challenge-themed movies are all the time a draw for audiences on social-video feeds. Mix in a contest that pits rising influencers from a number of nations in opposition to one another…. That’s an instantaneous recipe for success!
This venture is formidable, although the concept is straightforward and simply replicable. Brands can implement this multi-influencer competitors format on smaller scales (for instance, for particular face-offs with related hashtags).
The key’s to create a video set-up the place audiences actively vote on the result, thereby growing engagements.
SK-II’s One Bottle Away From Campaign
Overview: In the summer season of 2017, Brave Bison produced the One Bottle Away From documentary sequence to advertise SK-11’s Facial Treatment Essence skincare product.
The movies observe three celeb influencers as they confront main milestones:
- In Los Angeles, they traced Victoria’s Secret mannequin Behati Prinsloo’s journey from runway star to new mother.
- In South Korea, they featured Ok-Pop star Choi SooYoung, as she breaks away from her lady band to discover new alternatives.
- And, in China, they adopted Li Qin’s transformation right into a big-screen actress.
Each celeb is proven utilizing one bottle of the product as a part of their day by day routine, amid uncooked accounts of their struggles and victories. The goal: to show-not-tell how the skincare regime helps construct an influential girl’s “confidence to achieve life’s ambitions,” in line with Brave Bison.
- The marketing campaign was pushed out on a number of platforms (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram).
- Campaign movies printed with the #onebottleawayfrom hashtag garnered 94.1M views on YouTube, averaging about 1.9M views per video.
- The marketing campaign earned 22.3M views on Facebook, 10.4M on Twitter, and 6.5M on Instagram.
- The movies drew in excessive natural engagements: 1.2M on Instagram, 234Ok on Facebook, 68.6K on YouTube, and 33Ok on Twitter.
- The movies have been printed throughout 21 YouTube accounts, together with SK-II’s regional channels in addition to every influencer’s particular person social feeds.
- The highest-performing video featured supermodel Behati Prinsloo (captioned in Japanese) for the YouTube SK-II Japan channel (24.2M views).
Takeaway: SK-11 had recruited celebrities previously for scripted commercials, however this time Brave Bison inspired them to let the celebrities inform their very own tales. Beauty manufacturers would profit from following this mannequin.
Short documentaries that seamlessly combine your merchandise into day by day life are an optimum solution to join with audiences, notably millennials who are inclined to dislike direct promoting.
But the secret is to function tales which are each private, but simply universalized. In this case, the situation was additionally essential.
Beauty manufacturers’ movies ought to take influencers out of their perfectly-lit studios and enter their properties, favourite bars, and pal circles. In different phrases, present how and the place a girl’s magnificence shines most.
Clean & Clear’s ‘Every Skin Color Glows’ Campaign
Overview: In October 2017, Brave Bison teamed up with Johnson & Johnson skincare model Clean & Clear to create an advocacy video marketing campaign that combats the concept fairer pores and skin is finest, a prevalent perspective in India. The product was Clean & Clear pure brilliant face wash.
Brave Bison recruited India influencer Sejal Kumar to create an advocacy video about pores and skin discrimination. What adopted have been intimate conversations between Sejal and different Indian youngsters about hurtful issues they’d been informed.
Some have been known as black as coal, others informed they have been too darkish to discover a husband. The marketing campaign’s overarching message: “no matter what the color, every skin glows.”
- Influencer Sejal Kumar’s YouTube channel has 1.1M subscribers.
- The marketing campaign documentary garnered 231Ok views and 15.2K engagements.
- A behind-the-scenes vlog earned 283Ok views and 7,626 engagements.
- Sejal’s Instagram video which promotes the longer YouTube documentary acquired 131ok views and 12.8k engagements.
Takeaway: This marketing campaign helped Clean & Clear set up a singular model voice in its goal Indian market. In this case, video is a car that offers the face-wash product higher function past its substances, specifically as an emblem of bodily acceptance.
Brands would profit from taking over a social trigger particular to the area they’re working to achieve. The marketing campaign can then be positioned to reside on lengthy after the movies are printed, giving them an extended shelf life. These could be revisited or reposted as a information cycle deserves.
Equally notable is the facility of behind-the-scenes influencer movies. By connecting with a younger Indian influencer, Clean & Clear instantly reached a key youthful demographic within the Indian market.
And on this case, Sejal’s private video truly earned extra views than the principle marketing campaign one! Clearly, when partnering with influencers, it’s finest to leverage this style as a lot as doable.
Beauty Brands’ Videos Are Not Only Skin Deep
The frequent thread between these branded campaigns is authenticity, a piercing of the sweetness veil.
Through influencer collaborations and real-life encounters, the following movies showcase a fuller magnificence — one which resonates each inside and outside.
Related Read: What Beauty Brands Can Learn from L’Oréal’s Successful Influencer Marketing Campaigns