APC warns of important unauthenticated RCE flaws in UPS software program
APC’s Straightforward UPS On-line Monitoring Software program is susceptible to unauthenticated arbitrary distant code execution, permitting hackers to take over units and, in a worst-case state of affairs, disabling its performance altogether.
Uninterruptible Energy Provide (UPS) units are important in safeguarding knowledge facilities, server farms, and smaller community infrastructures by guaranteeing seamless operation amidst energy fluctuations or outages.
APC (by Schneider Electrical) is without doubt one of the hottest UPS manufacturers. Its merchandise are extensively deployed on each the patron and company markets, together with governmental, healthcare, industrial, IT, and retail infrastructure.
Earlier this month, the seller revealed a security notification to warn in regards to the following three flaws impacting its merchandise:
- CVE-2023-29411: Lacking authentication for important operate permitting an attacker to vary admin credentials and execute arbitrary code on the Java RMI interface. (CVSS v3.1 rating: 9.8, “important”)
- CVE-2023-29412: Improper dealing with of case sensitivity permitting an attacker to run arbitrary code when manipulating inner strategies via the Java RMI interface. (CVSS v3.1 rating: 9.8, “important”)
- CVE-2023-29413: Lacking authentication for important operate that might result in an unauthenticated attacker imposing a denial-of-service (DoS) situation. (CVSS v3.1 rating: 7.5, “excessive”)
Whereas denial-of-service (DoS) flaws are usually not thought of very harmful, as many UPS units are positioned in knowledge facilities, the results of such an outage are magnified because it might block the distant administration of units.
The above flaws influence:
- APC Straightforward UPS On-line Monitoring Software program v2.5-GA-01-22320 and earlier
- Schneider Electrical Straightforward UPS On-line Monitoring Software program v2.5-GA-01-22320 and earlier
The influence impacts all Home windows variations, together with 10 and 11, and in addition Home windows Server 2016, 2019, and 2022.
The really helpful motion for customers of the impacted software program is to improve to V2.5-GS-01-23036 or later, obtainable for obtain from right here (APC, SE).
At the moment, the one mitigation for purchasers with direct entry to their Straightforward UPS items is to improve to the PowerChute Serial Shutdown (PCSS) software program suite on all servers protected by your Straightforward UPS OnLine (SRV, SRVL fashions), which offers serial shutdown and monitoring.
Basic safety suggestions offered by the seller embrace putting mission-critical internet-connected units behind firewalls, using VPNs for distant entry, implementing strict bodily entry controls, and avoiding leaving units in “Program” mode.
Current analysis specializing in APC merchandise revealed harmful flaws collectively known as ‘TLStorm,’ which might give hackers management of susceptible and uncovered UPS units.
Quickly after the publication of TLStorm, CISA warned of attacks concentrating on internet-connected UPS units, urging customers to take instant motion to dam the assaults and defend their units.
#APC #warns #important #unauthenticated #RCE #flaws #UPS #software program